Monday, August 02, 2010

The Precise - First Impressions


The Precise 18650 (P18)



Pictured with a LR 801 "shorty" atomiser and adapter.

Preface
This unit was pre-ordered from the day it's release was announced. It is an all "mechanical" Stainless Steel device, capable of both 3.7 and High Voltage (7.2V and 8.4V). The announcement was most welcome by this Canuck. The announcement came shortly after Judge Leon's ruling was stayed on 31 Mar 2010, and once again FDAs ban was in full effect as prior to the ruling.

I have no intention of ever returning to smoking and seeing the writing on the wall from the beginning have armed myself with sustainability over "bling". Whether folks agree with my rationale or not is rather a moot point. No one in Canada makes mods with the exception of Nuck's Fistpack, which is a great variable voltage "electronic" device. When David announced the manufacturing of an all mechanical Stainless Steel device, I was all over it like a dirty shirt. I don't believe in funding prototyping as such, but based on the 10440 reviews and David's skills as a machinist I jumped on the band wagon and the wait began.

The review
The 18650 Precise affectionately know as the P18 cost's $159 + shipping. (we will discuss later);

* the unit was well packaged in a velvet pouch;
* the unit was then wrapped in bubble wrap;
* the unit came in a flat rate shipping container;
* the box contained a spare o-ring and spare switch spacers; and
* the box contained a set of instructions.

First Impressions
Wow, is this thing small. Although it is acclaimed as the smallest 18650 battery mod available, I had no idea it would be this tiny. It is roughly the same size as my Chameleon. The difference, it has an 18650 under the hood.


Side by side comparison. The Chameleon is sporting a full fledge 801 atomiser, whilst the P18 sports a "shorty" 801.


Side by side comarison. Yes the Precise can stands on end without firing the atomiser.

The Precise wears its name extremely well. The machining is precise and flawless. The finish is ultra smooth and repels fingerprints like the plague. Upon receipt the connections were barely visible. We can barely see the top cap connection in the picture which is not felt with a fingernail and not present at 3.7V using an 18650 but exist at 6V. Considering the plethora of batteries the unit can use.

Performance
It vapes like a 3.7 and 6V device. Folks that have followed what can be deemed as controversial posts, should know me better by now. All things being equal:

* same battery;
* same atomiser; and
* same liquid.

A 3.7 volt device vapes like a 3.7 volt device, and a 6 volt device, vapes like a 6 volt device - when all things are equal. So I am not here to snow no one. It vapes like a 3.7V and a 6-7V device. So why did I buy it you might ask? Ahhh...... Let me explain.

Being a former machinist I am impressed with the quality of the unit. Having done my research prior to pulling the trigger, I wasn't really surprised with the results. The Precise bares its name well and the name for the entire line well chosen. The precision manufacturing, is second to none. Yes I said second to none. The clearances are absolutely astounding in their finesse. There is absolutely no wiggle of any of the components. I will not go into direct specifications of the unit, all I can say is that SuperT has made an astounding product, that many can only revel in.

The threads are positively engaging and ultra smooth, the latter is without any lubrication. The unit comes with a native 510 connection, and ships with either an 801 or 901/510 adapter of your choice. The atomiser connection is recessed into the top cap. I was a little apprehensive wrt the recess lacking the normal slits that we are accustomed to on most mods and adapters. The draw on a regular atty is similar to the draw from an eGo fitted with cone. Many know I am a fan of the eGo so all I can say is it performs just like the eGo, but at 3.7V.

I have tried all adapters in my possession and all worked flawlessly. I have installed all my 510 atomisers on the unit, and all engaged positively without restrictions. The same goes with both the SLB and Boge 510 cartomisers.

Conclusion
What does this device do that another device don't? Absolutely nothing! Ah, but it doesn't stop there. The unit is owner serviceable. The switch requires approx 100gr to engage (speculation) as it is as easy as my MKI Screwdriver which is known to have a 100gr button - they are near identical. The throw on the button is adjustable by adding or removing spacers. It comes from the factory without, and I have found nothing wrong with this set up. The machining is second to none. It weights in at a mere 37gr more than my Chameleon. It repels fingerprint, being Stainless Steel the finish is extremely durable and will wear well.

There was a lot of rumours that circulated wrt the conductivity of Stainless over Aluminium, rest assured, don't believe everything folks say and interpret what is written for what it is worth. I conducted extensive testing on the unit. I will be the second one to admit (Dave was first) that they are insignificant. I challenge anyone to be able to detect the difference while vaping. They are indeed negligible and insignificant. I will not release my findings, with the exception that the claims are indeed accurate, but insignificant, more along the line of someone who has an axe to grind more than anything else.

I will post a follow up in a month or so, after I have put the P18 through its paces. The wait for this unit was long, 3 months but well worth it. I have yet to receive anything from the US this expeditiously and shipping was so cheap. 3.5 days to my door from the shop, and that was with a stop at customs.

My unit looks like every other unit manufactured by SuperT. If you are looking for a more personalized unit, then SuperT is not the place to be shopping However, if you are indeed looking for a unit that will withstand the test of time, and you are slightly mechanically inclined, then I highly recommend the Precise line. The unit has only 7 parts, and all can be fixed or acquired locally. The latter is also insignificant as SuperT products come with a lifetime warranty.

No comments:

Post a Comment